Friday, October 5, 2007

The .357 Magnum in rifles

There is a large debate in hunting and shooting circles as to the effectivness of the 357 on deer size game. There are many on both sides of the table, but I have come to believe that in a rifle that the 357 is a fine 100yd deer gun. Read more
And here, too

I agree 100% with this. I have had three .357 Magnum rifles, and still have two of them. I have found them to be a near-perfect homestead or woodsloafing rifle, with either jacketed or cast bullets. Bought in bulk, even jacketed bullets are affordable; and a home-cast bullet over surplus pulldown WC820 makes for just about the cheapest reliable deer round you can get.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I am not a hunter so I can not assess with any validity the .357 magnum rifles ability to take down game. I can say that having a rifle and handgun which take the same rounds is really convenient. It does generally mean that either your pistol is unpleasant to shoot or the rifle (really a carbine) is under powered. If the power of the rifle is adequate for you then they will make a nice convenient combo.