Monday, February 11, 2013

H&R .45/70


This is my friend Joe's Harrington & Richardson Buffalo Special .45/70 single-shot rifle. Some people may not consider the Buffalo Special to be all that frugal, but it is when you compare it to most .45/70 single shots. That LeverEvolution ammo he bought isn't very frugal, but my handloads consisting of a home-cast, non-gas-checked bullet from a $20 Lee mould and using homebrew bullet lube are downright cheap. I have a couple of "standard" .45/70 loads, one of which uses 2400 powder for moderately high performance while still keeping the powder usage down, and the other uses enough Red Dot to about duplicate the performance of the original black powder loads. Red Dot is pretty cheap powder, and it doesn't take much of it to do the job. Cases last a long time at these low pressures, too.
This video also features my standard NEF .45/70, which is the same rifle in a more utilitarian package. I used to have a Ruger Number 3 in .45/70, and I actually like my NEF better.

No comments: